- Mirepoix's medieval cité, with its picturesque 15th century arcades known as "couverts"
- Mirepoix's events including the Autumn "Fete des Pommes" and the Puppet Festival in July
- For those feeling homesick, the many English voices to be heard in the town. English residents wanting to know what's going on can read a digest of the town council's "Mirepoix Infos" in English here
- Its proximity to Carcassonne and Toulouse
- The wonderful Art Deco Cinema Casino in nearby Lavelanet, with its frequent screenings of original version English language films
- Summer days at the Lac de Montbel, complete with beach and pedalos for hire!
- Visiting the ruins of the Château de Montségur, built on the site of of one of the last Cathar strongholds, and learning more about this mediaeval faith.