L'Ariegeoise Cycle Race 25 June 2016

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt? Tell us about it. What's on, when and where, from films and theatre to festivals to markets to book swaps. And everything else.

Moderator: Moderators

L'Ariegeoise Cycle Race 25 June 2016

by Cathy » Mon May 30, 2016 6:45 pm

The annual Ariegeoise is taking place on 25 June, starting as usual from Tarascon at 8am. The race ends in Les Cabannes with the really intrepid folk able to continue on to the Plateau de Beille. About 5000 riders are expected for the race, each with the option of doing

1) Passejade - 69 km, 915 m of ascent - the "fun-run" (!) option so untimed
2) Mountagnole - 127 km, 2733m of ascent ending at Plateau de Beille, with the possibility of finishing in Les Cabannes making a 111 km ride
3) L'Ariegeoise - 153 km, 3128m of ascent finishing in les Cabannes
4) L'Ariegeoise XXL - 169 km, 4378m of ascent finishing at Plateau de Beille

There will be all the usual race razzamatazz going on in les Cabannes, or for the truly brave sign up to take part at http://www.cyclosport-ariegeoise.com/routes-ariegeoise-2016/ (this is an English language version of the site, but expect some parts not to be translated).

The race relies on volunteer marshalls, if anyone wants to volunteer, PM me and I will pass on your details to the organisers, they may already have enough for this year but the race happens every year and they are always on the look out for helpers.

There is a good account of last year's race on this UK cycling site http://road.cc/content/feature/164305-riding-lariegeoise-pyrenean-sportive-none-your-mates-have-done

Expect roads on the route to be shut for the duration of the race.
Cathy
Site Admin

Re: L'Ariegeoise Cycle Race 25 June 2016

by Goudy09 » Mon May 30, 2016 9:03 pm

Cathy,
Thanks for posting this information.
L'Ariegeoise is highly rated and in a recent edition of Cycling Weekly was in the top 12 cyclosportives - in the world - for amateur cyclists to complete in. It is certainly on my 'bucket list' and I may be able to do it as early as next year.
I had a small flirtation with it about 6 years ago when myself and 3 friends were out cycling one Saturday morning. We had cycled from Les Cabannes to Tarascon (via the Pas de Soulombrie) and wondered why there were so many cyclists heading into the town. Later that day we were coming up (struggling up - there were only 2 of us by now) the Port de Lers from Massat and at the top came across a small feeding station. The vast majority of cyclists had already passed through - coming up from the Col d'Agnes. We replenished our water bottles and were given some sugar cubes for energy by the volunteers who were extremely friendly & supportive despite us not even being in the event.
On the descent of the Port de Lers there were further marshalls who advised us of sharp corners, hairpins etc. We peeled off before the finish in Vicdessos and it was only when we returned to the UK did we realise what the event had actually been.
Events like this can't happen without a small army of volunteers and I was extremely grateful for them that day.
Goudy09
Goudy09

Return to Events, festivals, outings