Closure of the Grotte de Lombrives - 15 Sept 2016

Been there, done that, got the tee shirt? Tell us about it. What's on, when and where, from films and theatre to festivals to markets to book swaps. And everything else.

Moderator: Moderators

Closure of the Grotte de Lombrives - 15 Sept 2016

by Cathy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:23 am

I was surprised to see a sign saying that the Grotte de Lombrives (Ussat-les-Bains, nr Tarascon) was closing on 15 Sept 16.

I checked to see if this was just a seasonal closure, but no, the family in charge are shutting it down after running it for the last 38 years. Scanning the Depeche du Midi for news, it seems that the 99 year lease negotiated by their great-grandfather is coming to an end.

Presumably it will open under new management at some point (no mention in the article of why they are not re-bidding for it), but as things can grind quite slowly in these parts, that may be some time off.

It doesn't have cave paintings like other grottes hereabout, but is interesting for its sheer scale.
Cathy
Site Admin

Re: Closure of the Grotte de Lombrives - 15 Sept 2016

by wordgardener » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:39 pm

We visited the caves today, as I didn't want to miss them. They were indeed stunning in their scale and the beauty of the formations. The gentleman in charge didn't seem to think there would be a long term problem.

Although the website proposes various tours, today there was only the choice of 2 visits, at 10 am or 2pm, each lasting approx 2 hours. I suspect you have to book for the longer ones.

I'm very grateful to Cathy for prompting us to visit, but it does look as if there will be further opportunities to do so in future.
wordgardener

Re: Closure of the Grotte de Lombrives - 15 Sept 2016

by wordgardener » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:29 am

wordgardener

Return to Events, festivals, outings