Bird migration

... and smallholding and farming and green building and downshifting ...

Moderator: Moderators

Bird migration

by Myrtle&Martin » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:05 pm

I think you're right, Arthur, about birds migrating early this year. We've had clouds of bee- eaters over the river (Hers) in the early part of this week, and this morning we had hundreds of birds of prey collecting in thermals over the village and the river valley. I stopped counting after 80 in one thermal - they were packed in so close you could really see the shape of the column of air. After gaining a certain height, they'd stream away one after another to collect in the next one, all working their way roughly SSWest towards the Monts D'Olmes. It was all over in half an hour, but was one of the most awesome sights I've ever seen. Hard to tell colour and exact size but I think they were buzzards, having a wedge- shaped tail and distinct 'fingers' at the end of the wings.
Liz
Myrtle&Martin

Re: Bird migration

by Papillion » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:43 am

To see that many raptors must have been actually awesome, I am extremely envious

Where abouts do you actually live to see this

Cheers

P
Papillion

by Myrtle&Martin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:20 pm

We're down in the valley of the Hers just below Lagarde, on the Chalabre- Mirepoix road. We see lots of birds following the river, but never anything as spectacular as the other day.
Myrtle&Martin

by Margaret » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:19 pm

I can't offer anything so spectacular. But on Sunday we were near Senesse, and saw scores of swifts darting restlessly round all the eccentric wires which are such a picturesque (ahem) feature of French life. They were in huge numbers, and seemed in the process of gathering their forces for The Big Exit. Back here in Laroque, suddenly there don't seem to be any about in the evenings, which is when they generally enliven our skyscape
Margaret

Return to Nature, wildlife, growing ...