Fruit trees

... and smallholding and farming and green building and downshifting ...

Moderator: Moderators

Fruit trees

by Cathy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:30 pm

we are considering planting some fruit trees as we are enjoying the greengage we inherited with the property. we're thinking of plum, cherry and apple, but all depends if we need 1 or 2 (or more) of each to be successful. I'm about to start researching, but any pearls of wisdom from green fingered members on what's good in these climes gratefully received by a complete novice!
Cathy
Site Admin

Re: Fruit trees

by Margaret » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:58 pm

I don't know whereabouts you are, but if near the Pays d'Olmes or Mirepoix, can I suggest membership of Atout Fruit? It's a small local association which exists to protect the local fruit tree heritage and has all sorts of workshops, teaching etc. on the subject: planting, pruning, cooking (in French). Once a year, they give saplings away for free. Very friendly and approchable. Just google www.atout.fruit.fr
Margaret

Re: Fruit trees

by Mike » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:34 pm

All members of the plum family I find are really easy to grow. They don't need any special pruning ,you just Hack'em back. They are very resistant to cold and drought,, but water young trees untill established. They are easily fertilised by nearby wild plums which abound in the hedgerows of the Ariege. Finally, included in the plum family are cherries and almonds which share the same virtues. I find apples and pears difficult to prune, in fact I've never done it successfully, but I have heard that they tolerate drought very well and of course nobody ever heard of an appletree dying in winter. Unless you have a well and plenty of time to water, I think it not advisable to plant anything but drought and cold tolerant plants of any kind. Roses are really good and are very drought tolerant. The best all-round hedging plant I find is Photinia red robin which is much planted and for good reason. It is completely winter hardy and bomb proof in summer. It has beatifull red foliage in spring and is easy to prune. it will grow to a large size. given time it would make maybe 10 or 12 feet. If it gets too big it can be pruned hard and will sprout from bare wood. lastly it is evergreen.
I hate conifers.Here are the reasons. 1 I don't like the look of them, they never seem to do anything.
2 I have seen conifers die of cold here in the ariege leaving gaps in peoples hedges.Conifers don't like a cold winter wind. 3 Most conifers as they get taller also become bare lower down the stem. Conifers will not sprout from bare wood so you can get a hedge which is full of holes at the bottom and nothing can be done about this. it is almost impossible to renovate a neglected conifer hedge.
Can any body pass on any gardening tips? I like trees and bushes which grow tall 'cos I'm getting to the age where working at ground level is not easy. I refuse to buy anything which is not winter and summer hardy. Can anybody reccomend any plants like this?
I've just thought of a really good one. You know the little purple star like flowers which grow on water conserving leaves near the ground? They"re called poupriers. I had some but most of them died last winter. Well they've got a close relative which is also called pouprier but which dies every winter. The thing is it comes easily from seed and I've had much more of them survive because seeds are tougher than the toughest plant. They come in different shades of red, pink white and yellow, any thing (strangely ) but purple. I know they're not the right plant for somebody who cannot bend, but it's youth difficiency I suffer from, not stupidity. I just put them in pots on top of a wall! Byee, Mike
Mike

Return to Nature, wildlife, growing ...