chickens

... and smallholding and farming and green building and downshifting ...

Moderator: Moderators

chickens

by Lorna » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:23 pm

Can anyone help me to presuade my chickens to sit on their eggs to hatch them, please!

I bought some young shavers(I think), about April last year. Once they had matured, they happily started giving me eggs every day- wonderful.
Not content with that, I would really like them to give me fluffy baby chicks too!

The 3 hens all lay in the same place, but no matter how long I leave eggs undisturbed, not one of the hens will be a good mum and sit on them, except of course when laying more eggs.

Is there anything I can do to encourage them to become broody?

I do have a cockerel, so shouldn't be a problem with fertility.

Any ideas, even really scatty ones, gratefully received
Lorna

Re: chickens

by Papillion » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:59 pm

Is he firing blanks !!??..Seriously ??

the other option is to get hold of an electric incubator...sorry if this sounds daft as I know you think you have some pre-prepared ones (the chickens)

:P
Papillion

by Lorna » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:15 pm

:lol:
I really want to avoid the incubator route as I don't have a lot of spare time. I know an all singing all dancing one will take care of everything until hatching, with very little input from me, but when the chicks are born, I really want a mum to look after them.
Someone suggested some bantams as they are generally very broody and will sit on anyones eggs. What is french for bantam- anyone?
Lorna

by Papillion » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:20 pm

poule naine...according to the translation website I use :?:
Papillion

by Lorna » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:55 pm

:)
Thanks for that. i'll have a look in the market on Monday
Lorna

by Lorna » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi,
Just thought I would report back in case anyone is interested.

I bought a couple of bantams at Mirepoix market on Monday. They are very young but this approach has been surprisingly effective!

As soon as the bantams were introduced to the chickens, one of the hens immediately decided to sit on a clutch of eggs and hasn't budged since,( except presumably to eat and drink, but not when I'm present).In fact, on Monday night she had been so still, I actually poked her to see that she was still alive!

The bantams spent the first 24hrs with Mrs Newly Broody but this evening were on the perch with the others.

Mmm a few more months and fingers crossed, nice plump oven readies!

thanks papillion :D
Lorna

Return to Nature, wildlife, growing ...