France's Biggest Wunch?

Chat, chill out, chew the cud.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: France's Biggest Wunch?

by Philip » Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:07 pm

To put it simply, when things go wrong in life they can usually be explained by one of two type of theory:-

A) The conspiracy theory
B) The incompetency theory

Unfortunately conspiracy theories need conspirators and hence 'villains' This can, and has, led to groups utilising fears and anxieties into hatred of others based on little or no evidence. In its extreme it can lead to the Third Reich and the Holocaust. If you doubt it simply read the thousands of comments of people who have viewed the film.

Myself, I prefer the Incompetency theory - I can laugh at incompetents!

Philip

PS I don't think the behaviour of French banks is due to a conspiracy either.
Philip

by hhoo-redux » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:09 am

An interesting concept: "It's either a "conspiracy" or "incompetence" - either way I don't have to take any notice of it." :)

Philip wrote:What is even worse is to look at some of thousands of comments praising the movie which are anti-semitic, holocaust denying, climate change denying if not worse. One of the prime sites promoting the film is David Icke.com

Ahh, the good old tabloid tactic of indirectly smearing the film by association with comments others have made about it, and thus implying that the documentary is somehow promoting anti-semitism. (It doesn't by the way). Well done as well for managing to include "Climate Change Denial" in the same sentence - the latest pariah status. (To say noting of being insidiously mendacious). :lol: Adding David Icke in was maybe going a bit too far - it's difficult get his website to come up at the same time as "Fall of the Republic" in Google without having both in the search field :roll:

Philip wrote:...movie with some very frightening and dangerous theories.

Frightening? Maybe. Things can be true and frightening at the same time. Dangerous? In my opinion it is dangerous not to question what is going on. But each to their own.

The point is to approach things with an open mind. The Film doesn't actually make any terribly startling claims - all the information it presents is already in the public domain. I would agree that the format is a bit sensationalist, and it is a somewhat on the long side. However, I'm sure we are all clever enough to be able to see beyond the surface and concentrate on the content, and the length is required to properly present the facts: A pleasant change in this world of soundbites and 15 minute news bulletins.

I would suggest that people take the time watch it,think about it and compare what they have heard with how the same material is presented by what passes for main stream journalism at the moment. And then draw their own conclusions.

A couple of quotes from George Orwell (1984 of course!)

Winston Smith wrote:The mind should develop a blind spot whenever a dangerous thought presented itself. The process should be automatic, instinctive. Crimestop, they called it in Newspeak.

He set to work to exercise himself in crimestop. He presented himself with propositions -- 'the Party says the earth is flat', 'the party says that ice is heavier than water' -- and trained himself in not seeing or not understanding the arguments that contradicted them.

The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism, by Emmanuel Goldstein wrote:Crimestop means the faculty of stopping short, as though by instinct, at the threshold of any dangerous thought. It includes the power of not grasping analogies, of failing to perceive logical errors, of misunderstanding the simplest arguments if they are inimical to Ingsoc, and of being bored or repelled by any train of thought which is capable of leading in a heretical direction. Crimestop, in short, means protective stupidity

I'm sure I don't need to spell it out... ;)
hhoo-redux

by Sean Marshall » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:56 pm

Right, I'm off to BNP to tell them all that and see if they'll take my cash.

I'll let you know how I get on.
Sean Marshall

by kalba » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:14 pm

:lol: :lol: ;)
kalba

Previous

Return to The café